It may or may not surprise you but there are two folders in Facebook where your messages gets stored. The first one is “Inbox” and the second one is “Other”.
For me that many people don’t know the ‘Other’ folder sounds surprising because I have seen that for a long time. But the people who never wander around the Facebook tabs and settings never notice it. The main reason that many people don’t see the ‘Other’ folder is because they never check their inbox.
As Facebook makes it easy for the chat box to open for their messages to be read, they use the chat box and never check their inbox.
What is the Other folder made for?
According to Facebook “Your Other folder is where you’ll find messages and emails that have been filtered out of your inbox.” Other folder contains spams, unknown emails and messages from other Facebook people who you are not friends with.
Jimmy Chen, a Facebook employee working at the Messages team responded in a comment saying “Our priority is delivering the most relevant messages to you while keeping lower-quality messages out. We use a number of factors to determine that, the most important of which is friendship. If you’re already friends with the sender, or you have a mutual friend, then the message will land in your inbox.”
Facebook seems to be algorithmically sorting your messages that it thinks is not important and sending it to the ‘Other’ folder which you never check. But instead of sorting only spam and unwanted messages, Facebook seems to be hiding important messages as well.
The important messages that Facebook had hidden
After New York Times pointed out that there is a “Other” folder in your Facebook account, people found wonderful but hidden messages. People had missed party’s, funerals, offers, birth announcement, death news, and messages from their parents. Here are some of what they missed.
- “Notification of the death of a friend was hidden in my Other box. I had been very hurt at not being told, and actually missed her funeral.”
- “Damn, I discovered that a year ago, I won free tickets to the theater and I never knew.”
- “I reconnected with an old penpal who I haven’t heard from in 15 years thanks to your tip on the ‘Other’ folder!”
- “Unbelievable! My husband’s wallet was lost and presumed stolen — someone had found it a year ago and sent us a Facebook message, which was hidden until now! Thanks so much.”
- “Whoa. I had 58 messages there, one being an invitation to a bridal shower.”
You can read more of what people found in their ‘Other’ inbox in New York Times.